Glossary | Telescope accessories | General | Series | WA
The WA series of eyepieces from TS Optics offer a significant wide-angle effect, but only require 5 lenses. They are a further development of the classic Erfle eyepiece design.
A major advantage of TS WA eyepieces is their compact format. This, together with their lightweight construction, make them an ideal choice for telescopes with simple focusers.
No built-in Barlow lens
Many wide-angle eyepieces have a Barlow lens built into the end of the eyepiece. This artificially produces a short focal length. The TS WA eyepieces do not require a Barlow. There are several advantages to this:
- Fewer lenses mean a brighter image and more contrast.
- The viewing experience is very steady, the 1.25" eyepieces are also well suited to binoculars
- Edge distortion is significantly reduced.
- You can combine these eyepieces with a Barlow lens. This is not recommended for eyepieces with a built-in Barlow.
- TS WA eyepieces have a very moderate focus position. You will be able to focus easily with any telescope.