Glossary | Binoculars | Area of application | Hunting
Hunting has many aspects. Accordingly, it is not easy to say: "these are the ideal binoculars for hunting!", you have to decide which type of hunting you prefer. Whether from a hide, stalking, hunt drives or in the mountains. In a hide, the weight certainly plays a lesser role than when stalking or in the mountains. However, since hunting often takes place at dusk, the exit pupil should be at least 4-5 mm. We recommend binoculars with 5-7 mm, especially for nocturnal use in a hide. The exit pupil is calculated using a simple formula: "aperture divided by magnification".
Of course, impermeability is very important. We cannot recommend binoculars for hunting that are not watertight. Too many environmental influences can reduce viewing pleasure or even make it impossible.
What is important when selecting binoculars for hunting?
Binoculars achieve a "very good" rating if they fulfil the following:
- Magnification range from 7 – 10 times.
- The front lens diameter should be at least 40 mm.
- Since hunting often takes place at dusk, the exit pupil should be min. 5 mm.
- A field of view of min. 110 m is desirable.
- For stalking or mountain hunting, binoculars should not weigh more than 1,000 grams, even for use in the hide it should not weigh more than 1,400 grams.
- Special glass materials, special lens constructions or an integrated distance meter can positively influence the evaluation.
For a "good" , binoculars must achieve these values:
- Magnification 7 – 12 times
- Front lens diameter: min. 30 mm
- Exit pupil: min. 4.5 mm
- Weight : max. 1,500 grams
- Quality of coating: At least full, multi-coated
For a "medium" we will accept:
- Exit pupil: min. 4 mm
- Quality of coating: At least multi-coated
We rate binoculars as "not recommended” for hunting if the exit pupil is less than 3 mm. In addition, a hunting binoculars must in any case be waterproof.
Of course, there's no harm in owning a small pair of pocket binoculars that you keep handy in the car for short walks.